With an expanding small molecule drug discovery portfolio Artios Pharma is recruiting for a laboratory manager to co-ordinate the day-to-day running of our biochemistry and cell biology labs. This is an excellent opportunity to join a world class research team in a dynamic, small Biotech company based south of Cambridge, UK. Artios is focused on identifying and developing cancer treatments by exploiting novel targets within the DNA damage response (DDR), a scientific area of high expectation following the success of PARP inhibitors in the clinic. The company is actively working on an exciting portfolio of unique DNA repair projects.
Outline of the role
You will join a growing research team within this innovative and expanding company. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure the smooth running of the Artios research laboratories, including overseeing health and safety compliance. Main activities include:
- Overseeing Health and Safety, including: ensuring compliance, reviewing and updating Risk Assessments & procedures, and leading on Health and Safety inspections, reports & actions.
- Provision of sterile and non-sterile consumables, including: labware, buffers, supplemented agar plates and liquid & solid microbiological media.
- Management and ordering of laboratory consumables.
- Reviewing and maintaining databases of equipment and reagents.
- Organising training, maintenance, repair and servicing of equipment.
- Overseeing cleaning and general maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment.
- Ensuring safe and proper waste disposal, including liquid and dry waste and Category II dry waste.
- Co-ordination of incoming and outgoing shipments of chemical and biological reagents.
- Liaising with company representatives to obtain quotes for consumables and small & large-scale equipment, ensuring the best price for the best equipment is obtained.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc in molecular biology/cell biology/biochemistry or equivalent experience.
- Experience in performing and reviewing risk assessments including COSHH.
- Experience in producing microbiological media, including agars, broths, supplemented agar plates.
- NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health.
- Prior experience working in a biochemistry or cell biology research laboratory.
- Experience of leading laboratory health and safety inspections.
- Experience of managing junior staff.
- Experience of maintaining antibiotic stocks.
- First Aid at Work Certificate.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding team working skills and ability to integrate within a small team.
- Ability to ensure health and safety compliance and understanding from all staff.
- Good knowledge of chemicals, their associated hazards and interpretation of Safety Data Sheets and COSHH forms.
- Knowledge of compound management.
This is a permanent role offering an attractive salary & benefits package, if you have the right background, then please apply by sending your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com
The closing date is Monday 2nd September 2019
In order to comply with UK employment law, all applicants must have the right to work in the UK, if invited to interview, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK.
View all news